Sep 8, 2012

It's been a while...

Aloha Friends,

It's been such  long time since I've posted. Life has kept me soooo busy, but hopefully, I will be able to post a little every day now.

As you know, I work on Joint Base Pearl Harbor/Hickam. The building in which I work is on the historical sub-base. There are pictures of scenes from WWII that line the hallways of our building. I have yet to see any that have women in them :( So I thought I'd like to find out more of what the dress was for the WACs. Here's a photo of a 'tropical' uniform and a little info on its make up:


Due to the stiffness of the cotton twill material used in the original uniform, as well as the poor fit, the pattern was revised and a different material selected for the summer uniform, tropical worsted wool. The general issue of the summer tropical worsted uniform was approved  for all enlisted WAC personnel for the summer of 1944.  Officers also wore this uniform.  At first the women were issued "Hobby Hats" in the tropical worsted; however, due to continuing complaints about the Hobby Hat, a garrison cap in this material was issued as shown in this photo.  Cotton chamois gloves and chamois scarf was also authorized to wear with this uniform.

During my research, I found that the women also had an 'off duty' uniform. This is what they looked like:

 On May 25, 1944, the off-duty dress was approved by the War Department as an item of issue to enlisted women.  The summer dress was made of rayon shantung and the color was a pale beige.  The off-duty dress was an item of issue for enlisted women; however, commissioned personnel could purchase the item.  A matching shantung garrison cap, brown pumps, brown handbag and cotton chamois gloves were designed to be worn with the dress.  The winter dress was made of a grayish-pink wool fabric.

The women who wore these uniforms served along side our brave men. Without them, our troops would have suffered countless losses. We will be forever grateful to them.

1 comments:

Stephanie A. said...

Hey there Sue,

I'm SO glad you're posting again more often! I love your vintage frame of mind, and all the women of wartime news. And, you really have to admit those women ALL looked good and have great legs in those uniforms! I would dress like that if I could. :)

September 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Don't Carry Tales from Pinup Girl (1944)

From Twice Blessed (1945)

Cadance is wonderful!!!